Employee Satisfaction Surveys
Create a happier workplace using employee satisfaction surveys.
Stop guessing, and ask employees if they’re happy on the job. Use employee surveys to check in with employees about their satisfaction with their roles and responsibilities, the work environment, and their experiences with management. Find out what mix of benefits matters most to them, and what skills they wish to acquire as they develop their careers.
SurveyMonkey makes it easy to learn more about your employees: design and send an employment satisfaction survey in minutes.
Measuring employee engagement with regular polls helps you spot potential issues early. The feedback you gain will help you uncover and address concerns proactively, improving satisfaction and productivity and keeping the employees you would hate to lose.
Employee Engagement Survey Template
We've partnered with the Society of Human Resource Management Foundation (SHRMF) to bring you a comprehensive employee engagement template. From polling employees on how they work with peers to whether they feel they have opportunities for professional growth, get a holistic view of engagement with the employee engagement template.
How to Use Employee Satisfaction Surveys
Happy employees are more likely to delight co-workers, customers, and partners and build the good reputation of your brand. Can you afford not to know how your employees feel on the job?
Why Measure Employee Satisfaction?
Please note: Some of these templates are only available in English.
Use satisfaction surveys to build a positive, productive workforce by focusing on:
- Management development. Managers directly affect employees, and sometimes their impact is less than positive. Often strained manager-employee situations can be improved with good training. Use employee feedback from performance evaluations, management performance and 360-reviews to identify development opportunities for specific managers or for your broader management team.
- Team development. Great teams do great things! Broken teams perform poorly and prompt departures. Ask employees to assess their teams’ performance and use that feedback to develop core team collaboration and communication skills for greater work satisfaction.
- Training and career development programs. As employees develop and gain greater skills, they can help grow and evolve your company. Figure out what capabilities your company needs to achieve its long-term goals, survey employees to find out which skills they want to develop, and then match the two for optimum benefit.
- Benefits programs. Yours may be an outstanding healthcare program, and your employees appreciate that. But day-to-day, what kinds of programs could you add that would support employees’ health, well-being, and productivity in the workplace? HR departments should employ surveys to find out.
Employee satisfaction surveys require thoughtful construction. No worries—we make it easy for you with a collection of survey templates. All of our template questions are written by professional survey methodologists, so you can use them as is. You can also customize templates to fit your needs, or create your own using the certified questions available in our Question Bank.
- Employee/Job Satisfaction. Using these 14 methodologically sound questions, ask your employees how they feel about their jobs and their employment with you. Do they find their work meaningful and challenging? Do they have opportunities to develop and get promoted? Use this information to build the employee engagement, training, and rewards and recognition programs that boost satisfaction.
- Employee Benefits. Do your employees feel good about the benefits they receive? While healthcare benefits top the list of priorities, you can use this survey to find out if commuting, catering, and the office environment add or detract from satisfaction.
- Employee Exit. Ask your departing employees to share their reasons for leaving – are they leaving to pursue that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity—or because they lacked challenging work, a good manager, a positive work environment, or the salary and benefits they need? Consider this feedback a bonus, and use it to make improvements to prevent dissatisfaction or attrition.
- Commuting. For some employees, getting to and from work adds many hours and lots of cost to the work week. Survey your employees to find out whether a company-funded commuting or telecommuting solution might add to employee satisfaction.
- Management Performance. Ask employees if they find their leaders or management team available, accessible, and approachable. Do they feel management explains the company’s priorities and sets reasonable expectations for achieving them? Use this feedback to strengthen your company’s strategic vision and ensure that employees feel a satisfying sense of purpose and direction.
- Team or Department Performance. Negative team dynamics impact job satisfaction. How would your employees rate their team’s skills and performance, their communication skills, and the way they are managed? Improve on-the-job satisfaction by using this feedback to recognize and reward high-performing teams or to improve team skills.
- Manager Effectiveness. You definitely want to hear what employees have to say about their managers, given the direct impact managers have on employee job satisfaction. Use surveys to get employees’ opinions about their supervisors’ effectiveness at aligning work with business priorities, rewarding success, coaching, and managing the team. Look for opportunities to improve satisfaction by making sure that employees work for managers who have effective management skills.
3 Quick Tips to Improve Survey Response Rates
Here are some ideas for how to create surveys that employees will feel comfortable completing:
- Be explicit about confidentiality. Reassure your employees that their responses will be kept confidential.
- When possible, make responses anonymous. You’re more likely to receive honest feedback and a greater number of completed surveys.
- Avoid corporate-speak. Create surveys that sound human and approachable and invite thoughtful feedback.
Looking for More Survey Types and Survey Examples?
- Business Surveys
- Certified Survey Questions
- Consumer Surveys
- Customer Loyalty Surveys
- Customer Satisfaction Surveys
- Employee Surveys
- Event Planning Surveys
- HR Survey & Training Survey
- Job Satisfaction Survey
- Marketing Surveys
- Market Research Surveys
- Measurement and Testing
- Medical Research Surveys
- Non-Profit Surveys
- Online Polls
- Online Questionnaires
- Product Feedback Surveys
- Education Surveys
- Fun Surveys
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Pre K-12 Parent Survey
Why Do 20+ Million People Use SurveyMonkey?
Send an unlimited number of surveys and polls with our FREE plan.
- Easy to Use
Create and monitor your survey directly over the Internet — we've made it easy to get started, learn & use.
- Intuitive Design
There's no need to be a programmer or engineer — if you can check email or use Facebook, then you can use SurveyMonkey.
- Real Time Results
You can view your data as it comes in, keeping it to yourself or allowing others to see it.
- Trustworthy & Experienced
SurveyMonkey has helped over 20 million satisfied customers gather information online.
- Expands with Your Needs
SurveyMonkey PRO plans enhance your ability to gather & interpret information with advanced analytics and more.