Yes? No? Maybe so? Use online polls for instant feedback.
Sometimes you want a quick bit of feedback from your audience. What’s the best time for the yoga class you’re teaching? Which of six choices is the perfect name for that new yogurt flavor? Where should the team hold its next offsite meeting? Who will win the next election?
A super tool for on-the-spot feedback, online polls let you check in with your audience or customers any time. When you do, you send the message that you know they’re there and their opinions matter.
How to Use Online Polls
Create and deliver online polls quickly and easily. If you don’t already have a SurveyMonkey account, sign up for free and you can create and launch your online poll in minutes. To create an online poll, just:
- Compose your question (or a few short questions) with tips from our best practices on how to create and conduct surveys or start with certified sample questions from our Question Bank.
- Email or post the link to your poll online – or display it in a popup window on your blog or website..
- Get results, then make better decisions or share the results of the poll with your audience.
Using online polls is an easy way to ask your audience for instant feedback on just about anything. Here are a few ways you can use SurveyMonkey polls:
- Audience Engagement. Add an element of fun to the experience by using online polls to keep your website visitors or Facebook or Twitter followers interested and engaged.
- Market Research. Gather customer opinions on new product or service offerings.
- Political Research. Run tracking polls, horse race polls, and quick polls on hot-button issues for political campaigns and consulting.
- Event Planning and Feedback. Assess preferences for potential venues or agendas. Invite attendees to rate locations, entertainment, speakers, refreshments, and more.
- Course Feedback. Poll students for quick answers during instruction or lectures. Get feedback on instructor performance or specific classes.
- Volunteer Organization. Run polls to mobilize volunteers, collect RSVPs for events, and to gather data from the field.
- Academic research. Quickly poll a sample audience with your preliminary research theories before investing significant time into developing a detailed hypothesis.
- Travel industry. Poll travelers during a stay at a hotel or on an organized vacation to discover ways to improve their experience.
- Net Promoter Score (NPS). "On a scale of zero to 10, how likely are you to refer to a friend or colleague?" This collective results to this question can help you discover ways to improve customer engagement.
- Technology. Mac or PC? iPhone or Android? Laptop or Desktop? Poll your friends on what their favorite technology toys are and know what to surprise them with at their next birthday.
- Government. Agencies and government office can quickly guage citizen feedback to proposed changes or gather suggestions with an online poll.
You don't have to spend loads of money to get answers. You just need to take advantage of our smart, cost-effective tools. Not sure how to reach the right people? SurveyMonkey Audience gives you access to millions of respondents ready to provide the answers you need to make critical decisions.
Sample Online Polls
Use one of our survey templates as the basis for your online poll, or start with one or more of the many methodologically sound and certified questions in our Question Bank. While all of our questions are written by professional survey methodologists, you can also customize questions to fit your polling needs. (At this time, most of our survey templates are in English only, although we do plan to offer them in other languages soon.)
- Just for Fun. Poll for opinions on game night. Vacation spots. Movies. Menus. Home makeovers. If you can think it up, you can create an online poll about it!
- General Event Feedback. How did it go? Did attendees enjoy the event? Would they like to see more like it? Poll for feedback to help with planning your next one.
- Customer Service. How would your customers rate their experience with your customer service team? Did they wait long to get assistance? Was your team member courteous and helpful? Find out with a quick poll.
- Website Feedback. Pop up and poll your visitors to ensure that they’re finding what they need on your website.
- Employee Programs. Poll your workforce for their ideas and preferences on new programs—like training, commuting, health and wellness programs, and more.
- Online Social Networking. Which sites do your audiences visit and how often? Use a poll to find out and then decide which channels are best for your social media marketing campaigns.
- Health and Nutrition. Poll clients to learn more about their habits and the changes they might like to make. Use online polls for quick progress checks and to share useful information in a fun way.
3 Quick Tips to Improve Your Polls
- Keep it short and simple. Use a multiple choice format, with a maximum of one to five questions for quick polling.
- Make it about them. Use polls to encourage your audience’s engagement. Ask for their opinions and preferences – and make it fun!
- Keep rating scale questions consistent. If you’re using Likert scales, use the same points system for all questions. If 1 means “extremely satisfied” and 5 means “extremely dissatisfied,” maintain it across your short poll.
Looking for More Survey Types and Survey Examples?
- Business Surveys
- Certified Survey Questions
- Consumer Surveys
- Customer Loyalty Surveys
- Customer Satisfaction Surveys
- Employee Surveys
- Employee Satisfaction Surveys
- Event Planning Surveys
- HR Survey & Training Survey
- Job Satisfaction Survey
- Marketing Surveys
- Market Research Surveys
- Measurement and Testing
- Medical Research Surveys
- Non-Profit Surveys
- Online Questionnaires
- Product Feedback Surveys
- Education Surveys
- Fun Surveys
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Pre K-12 Parent Survey
Why Do 15+ Million People Use SurveyMonkey?
Send an unlimited number of surveys and polls with our FREE plan.
- Easy to Use
Create and monitor your survey directly over the Internet — we've made it easy to get started, learn & use.
- Intuitive Design
There's no need to be a programmer or engineer — if you can check email or use Facebook, then you can use SurveyMonkey.
- Real Time Results
You can view your data as it comes in, keeping it to yourself or allowing others to see it.
- Trustworthy & Experienced
SurveyMonkey has helped over 15 million satisfied customers gather information online.
- Expands with Your Needs
SurveyMonkey PRO plans enhance your ability to gather & interpret information with advanced analytics and more.