How do you know? How do your patients and clients evaluate your practice? And how do you put that feedback into meaningful perspective?
What is CAHPS? The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) surveys give you a way to assess and benchmark your practice or plan against others in your industry, both regionally and nationally in the U.S. A multi-year initiative of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), CAHPS produces standard surveys of patients’ experiences and supports the use of the survey results for public reporting and quality improvement.
As a medical or dental healthcare or insurance provider, you can use the H-CAHPS (Hospital CAHPS) or CAHPS Questionnaire to gather feedback regularly from your patients and clients—after each office visit or hospital stay or every 12 months, for example. Comparing your results with the aggregated data for providers in your region and across the nation can then help you focus your efforts on continuous improvement of patient or customer care.
Just create a FREE account, and you can create CAHPS patient visit surveys in minutes. Or get started with one of our other CAHPS survey templates:
CAHPS survey questions capture patients’ and customers’ reports and ratings of their experiences with health care services. The questionnaires are designed to be used when:
– Consumers and patients are the best and/or only source of information. CAHPS surveys do not attempt to collect information that can be gathered more effectively through other means (e.g., through medical records or from physicians).
– Consumers and patients have identified such surveys as being important. The CAHPS program devotes substantial resources to identifying and confirming the issues that matter to consumers and influence their healthcare decisions.
In those cases where patients might hesitate to provide you with direct feedback, the CAHPS questionnaires give them the chance to do so indirectly yet constructively. Regular patient or customer feedback, aggregated with the feedback about other providers in your region, gives you an invaluable tool for benchmarking your quality of patient care and customer service over time.
Here are a few ideas for using the CAHPS surveys in your organization.
– Continuous improvement. Encourage your patients to tell you about their visit and the quality of their experience with you, your support staff, and your facility. Use this patient feedback for continuous improvement in the areas of patient interaction, front office reception, back office administration, and nursing or other staff support.
– Patient or customer satisfaction programs. Measure your progress against long-term patient or client satisfaction goals. Assess your patient or customer satisfaction improvement programs: for example, whether you’re reaching your annual targets in a multi-year journey.
– Staffing or training investments. Determine where you should focus training or hiring, based on your patients’ or customers’ experiences. For example, while your patient may rate their experience with you, their physician, very highly, there may be opportunities for improving their experience with the clinic’s scheduling team.
Here are some ideas for ensuring that respondents will answer your surveys.
1. Confidentiality. In your cover letter or email, repeat the CAHPS confidentiality and voluntary participation statements, to assure respondents that their information is protected.
2. Pre-testing. Test your survey before sending it, to make sure it works correctly.
3. Reminder emails. A gentle nudge to respondents can help improve response rates. Use the convenient SurveyMonkey Email Collector to send email reminders to those who haven’t answered your first invitation.
* For more information about CAHPS, please visit https://cahps.ahrq.gov/.
SurveyMonkey supports surveys that collect protected health information! If you’re a covered entity regulated by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and want to collect protected health information in your health and well-being surveys, please see our HIPAA Compliance at SurveyMonkey page for more details.
If you are interested in using a CAHPS survey template but have further questions, please get in touch with us.
Use one of our CAHPS online templates to survey your patients or clients, and then benchmark your practice or plan.
Survey your patients after an office, clinic, or hospital visit to get their feedback on the care you’re providing, their interactions with your staff, and their access to care when they need it.
Assess and benchmark your patients’ experiences with your practice over a 12-month period, gathering their feedback on quality of provider care and customer service.
Ask patients about their stay at your hospital and their interactions with your physicians and staff. Benchmark your results against other hospitals in your region or across the U.S.
Discover whether your customers find it easy to receive support and coverage for health services through your plan. Assess their overall satisfaction and benchmark your results against other providers in your region and across the U.S.
Discover whether your dental clients find it easy to receive support and coverage for dental services through your plan. Assess their overall satisfaction and benchmark your results against other providers in your region and across the U.S.
Want to know what your customers are saying about you? Customer satisfaction surveys can help you find out what people think of your company, get feedback on customer service, and more.Visit Page
When you listen to your employees, you can make decisions that build a happier workplace. Find out how employees really feel about their jobs. Get the feedback you need to keep them happy.Visit Page
Organizing an event is tough work. Who’s coming? What’s their schedule? Event surveys can give you a clearer picture. When you’re done, get post-event feedback to improve for next time.Visit Page
Here are some ideas to ensure that respondents will answer your surveys.
If your survey is short and sweet, there's a greater chance that more respondents will complete it.
Little incentives like small discount or an entry into a drawing can help ensure respondents complete your survey.
With SurveyMonkey Audience, you can purchase access to an audience who meets specific demographic criteria for your survey. It's a great way to get targeted responses from a specific group.