Axios|SurveyMonkey poll: sports and esports
- By better than 3-to-1, more Americans see the spread of legalized sports gambling as hurting rather than helping the integrity of professional athletics.
- More than a third of American men have placed bets on pro sports (double the rate among women), although only 17 percent of people overall say they’re interested in sports betting.
- Few people (12 percent overall) expect the increased legalization of sports betting to have a positive effect on the integrity of sports.
- Similarly, just 10 percent of people who watch sports think broadcasts should include more discussion of sports betting.
- These numbers are both higher among those who are interested in sports betting, with 37 percent of those who are interested expecting a positive effect from legalization and 25 percent wanting to see more inclusion of sports betting in broadcasts.