American Whitewater and the Rio Grande Headwaters Restoration Project needs your help to define streamflows that support the full range of recreational boating opportunities on the Rio Grande and Conejos Rivers in Southern Colorado.
Information collected by this study will be used to assess river-dependent recreation as part of a joint stream management planning effort between American Whitewater and the Rio Grande Headwaters Restoration Project. We have developed this survey so individuals and outfitters can report how changes in stream flows affect recreation quality on each of our targeted river segments. Your input will help American Whitewater identify the full range of flows necessary to support recreation experiences, from technical low water to challenging high water opportunities. The information you provide will support development of multipurpose projects in the Basin and can help protect and enhance economies that rely on environmental and recreational water uses.
The river segments targeted by this study include:
1) Rio Grande Box Canyon (CO, this not the Taos Box)
2) Rio Grande from Box Canyon to Creede (CO, not the Taos Box)
3) Rio Grande from Creede to Wagon Wheel Gap
4) Rio Grande from Wagon Wheel Gap to South Fork
5) Rio Grande from South Fork to Del Norte
6) Conejos River from Platoro Reservoir to South Fork Campground
7) Conejos River from South Fork to Hwy 17 Bridge
8) Conejos River From Highway 17 Bridge, to Mogote Camp Ground
9) Rio Grande River From Alamosa to Lasauses
10) Rio Grande from Lasauses to Lobatos Bridge
11) Rio Grande from Lobatos Bridge to Lee Trail, New Mexico
You will only be asked to respond to survey questions for the segments you have personally experienced.
Please encourage your fellow paddlers to participate in this study.