Newell Flather Award for Leadership in Public Art 2023 Nomination Form
New England Foundation for the Arts (NEFA) invites nominations for the 2023 Newell Flather Award for Leadership in Public Art. At NEFA we also believe that public art has the power to inspire more just, vibrant, and welcoming public spaces and public life, and through the Newell Flather Leadership Award in Public Art, we hope to celebrate and lift up individuals behind this good and important work in Massachusetts. This year, we are particularly looking to honor unsung and emerging leaders in the field of public art.
In 2023, we seek artists, curators and/or arts administrators who:
- Reside full-time and work within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Create/Curate/Support public art that aligns with NEFA’s public art vision and values.
- Help us to see, feel, experience, and imagine more just futures for our public spaces and public culture.
- Address the intersectionality of spatial justice and racial justice as critical to cultivating a more vibrant public art ecosystem.
- Recognize the importance of context in public artmaking.
- Inspire more just, vibrant, and welcoming public spaces and public life in Massachusetts.
- This year we are particularly looking to honor unsung and emerging leaders in the field of public art.
- Unsung leaders in the field of public art may be individuals who have been doing the work for a while and may have been ahead of their time as they paved the way for others. In retrospect, their leadership has cultivated more just, vibrant, and welcoming public artmaking, and may deserve more recognition today.
- Emerging leaders in the field of public art may be individuals who are newer to creating and/or supporting public artmaking. And their leadership is currently paving the way for more just, vibrant, and welcoming futures for our public spaces. (These are the folks we want to keep an eye on! They are shaping our future for the better with the work that they are doing today!)
Nominations for 2023 will be accepted through February 27, 2023. Self-nominations are welcome. Nominators may submit up to two nominations.
Please note, this form does not auto-save and we recommend saving your responses in another document as you prepare your nomination. If you have questions or accessibility requests, please contact email@example.com.