Who is ELIGIBLE to participate in the Mentoring Program?
- Teachers can request participation in the program by meeting these criteria:
- At least five years of teaching experience, one of which is within the last seven years in a school or other education related field
- Must hold a valid or expired teaching certificate
What is the DURATION of the mentor’s commitment to the program & new teacher?
- A mentor will commit to work with a beginning teacher for a period of two years
What is REQUIRED of a mentor?
- Must obtain administrative sign-off to participate in the program.
- Participate in SD Mentor Professional Learning Community:
- Attend one Face-to-face Mentoring Seminar at one of these locations:
- July 23 - Sioux Falls
- July 23 - Aberdeen
- July 26 - Rapid City
- August 9 - Brookings
- September 13 (Makeup date) - Rapid City
- Attend one Face-to-face Kick-off with your new teacher at one of these locations:
- July 24 - Sioux Falls
- July 24 - Aberdeen
- July 27 - Rapid City
- August 10 - Brookings
- Sept 14 (makeup date) - Pierre
- Sept 14 (makeup date) - Rapid City
- Provide 34 hours of mentoring - Minimum 18 hours of which must be face-to-face
- Attend Summer Academy
- June 5 & 6 (2019) in Sioux Falls
- Maintain mentor log
- THESE ACTIVITIES WILL BE REPEATED FOR YEAR 2
- What is the COMPENSATION for mentoring a new teacher?
- Stipend of $1,350 for completion of all mentor requirements
- Stipend may be prorated for:
- matches made/discontinued throughout the year
- failure to complete all mentor requirements
- Meals, mileage, and hotel reimbursement to attend Mentor Seminar
- Meals and mileage reimbursement to attend Kick-Off
- Mileage and hotel reimbursement to attend Summer Academy
- Mileage reimbursement for face-to-face mentoring if traveling between towns
- Upon completion of all requirements of the two year program, certified teachers will have met the credit requirements to renew their teacher certificate.
- DOE will require a completed W-9 form and License Plate # for reimbursement