Rideshare’s Safe Routes to School program offers mini-grant funding to K-12 schools in San Luis Obispo County for education and encouragement activities that make it safe, convenient, and fun for children to walk and bicycle to and from school.
Eligible activities include:
New program ideas are always welcome!
- Organization and Promotion of Walk/Bike to School Days
- Mileage Clubs and Contests
- Formation of Bike Brigades and/or Walking School Buses
- On-campus Walk/Bike Safety Education and Activities
Any faculty, administrator or parent who is part of a SLO County school and wishes to build or grow a Safe Routes to School Program is welcome to apply for grant funds. Funds are offered as a reimbursement for eligible expenses. Schools are eligible to receive up to $600 per school year and must provide receipts to be reimbursed annually (no later than June 30th.)
Ineligible activities include:
- Staff salaries
- Infrastructure projects (construction or demolition)
- Cash Prizes
- Gift Cards more than $20. If gift cards are purchased as an incentive, the total of the cards cannot be more than $20 per event.
- School must participate in both International Walk to School Day (October) and National Bike to School Day (May)
- Host 4 or more events throughout the school year (including Bike/Walk to School Days)
- Agreement to provide data on student participation
- Agreement to provide at least 3 photos that show one or more of the activities funded
- Expenses will not be reimbursed without receipts
- Program may not claim more than $600 for reimbursement
- Printed materials must include the Rideshare Safe Routes to School logo