Who is ELIGIBLE to participate in the Mentoring Program?
- Teachers can request participation in the program by meeting these criteria:
- At least five years of teaching experience, one of which is within the last seven years in a school or other education related field
- Must hold a valid or expired teaching certificate
What is the DURATION of the mentor’s commitment to the program & new teacher?
- A mentor will commit to work with a beginning teacher for a period of two years
What is REQUIRED of a mentor?
- Must obtain administrative sign-off to participate in the program.
- Participate in SD Mentor Professional Learning Community:
- Face-to-face SD Mentoring Seminar
- July 17 or 18 - Sioux Falls; or
- July 19 - Aberdeen; or
- July 20 - Rapid City
- Series of three online webinars (times and dates tbd)
- Participate in one kick-off day with assigned new teacher.
- August 2 - Rapid City; or
- August 2 or 3 - Sioux Falls; or
- August 2 - Brookings; or
- August 3 - Pierre; or
- September 15 - Rapid City; or
- September 15 - Sioux Falls
- Provide 34 hours of mentoring - Minimum 18 hours of which must be face-to-face
- Attend Summer Academy
- June 4 & 5 (2018) in Sioux Falls
- Maintain mentor log
- THESE ACTIVITIES WILL BE REPEATED FOR YEAR 2
What is the COMPENSATION for mentoring a new teacher?
- Stipend of $1,350 for completion of all mentor requirements
- Stipend may be prorated for:
- matches made/discontinued throughout the year
- failure to complete all mentor requirements
- Meals, mileage, and hotel reimbursement to attend Mentor Seminar
- Meals and mileage reimbursement to attend Kick-Off
- Mileage and hotel reimbursement to attend Summer Academy
- Mileage reimbursement for face-to-face mentoring if traveling between towns
- Upon completion of the two year program, certified teachers will have met the requirements to renew their certificate.
- DOE will require a completed W-9 form and License Plate # for reimbursement