Dear Business-Minded Aspiring Political Leader:
(Please read this cover letter in its entirety to fully understand the program's focus, objectives and requirements.)
Thank you for your interest in the Central Florida Political Leadership Institute (PLI), a program of the Orlando Economic Partnership that works to provide the Orlando region with quality jobs, economic growth, broad-based prosperity and a sustainable quality of life.
PLI is a nonpartisan program for business-minded leaders who have an interest in exploring future public leadership opportunities, either as a political candidate or appointee to a government board or commission, and discovering how their experience and talent could address critical public-policy issues. Applicants from Lake, Orange, Osceola, Polk, Volusia, Brevard and Seminole Counties are invited. Graduates have gone on to serve as mayors, council members, commissioners, legislators, school board members and appointees.
There is no commitment required to run for office. PLI is for leaders who want to explore the possibility of serving as a public leader in either a short-term or long-term horizon. A limited number of applicants will be competitively chosen by a selection committee. All participants will receive a 100% scholarship thanks to the generous support of program sponsors.
Meeting Dates, Times and Attendance Requirement
200 S. Orange Ave., Suite 200, Orlando, FL 32801.
Classes begin with a two-day session:
- Friday, Nov. 17 | 8:45 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday Nov. 18 | 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
After the first session, the program will meet on the following dates.
- Thursday, Dec. 14 | 8:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (Half-Day)
- Thursday, Jan. 18 | 12:45 – 4:00 p.m. (Half-Day)
- Thursday, Feb. 8 | 8:45 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Mar. 14 | 8:45 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Apr. 18 | 8:45 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Final Class)
The date for a VIP reception and graduation ceremony will be announced on a later date.
To remain in the program under full scholarship and graduate, participants must fulfill the following attendance and participation requirements:
- Attendance is mandatory during the two-day session in November, and the full-day sessions in February, March and April in their entirety. Participants can only miss one half-day class.
- Individual engagement plans (as assigned in class) must be completed in their entirety and class members must participate fully with their assigned small-group teams in the completion of assignments, including a final presentation.
While the program exists to build the bench of business-minded future candidates, PLI cannot accept currently filed candidates. Understand that anyone who has filed paperwork with a government entity declaring their candidacy for political office will not be eligible to apply for PLI.
Admittance does not guarantee a future candidate endorsement or support from program sponsors, or anyone involved with the program directly or indirectly. This is a program for prospective public leaders and not for current or aspiring campaign workers or political consultants.
Please read and understand the cover letter in its entirety, including the attendance requirement, before submitting this application. You can return to your application and edit if needed before and after submitting.