Things you need to know:
OHS will assist with access to low/cost spay, neuter, vaccination and de-worming, tattoo or chip for owned and un-owned cats and dogs and other small animals. Subsidies are available depending on qualification. Proof of household income is required.
A . Rescue Program for feral, abandoned and stray cats or dogs:
1. Due to very high request volume we will prioritize Rescue Program cases of feral, strays and abandoned cats. A volunteer will contact you by EMAIL within 24 -48 hours (also check Junk mail)
2. Feral cats and kittens are fixed and assessed for adoptability. Feral cats are released back as mousers. Young kittens and tame adult cats will be fostered and re-homed space permitting.
3. OHS is 100% donation and volunteer based. To Volunteer and Donate visit the website: Okanagan Humane Society or Facebook page: Okanagan Humane Society
B. Owned Animal Assistance Program for pets : (Spay/Neuter/Medical Assistance requests):
1. A volunteer will contact you by EMAIL within about a week. Please check junk mail. Send OHS a message through the website or Facebook if no email received.
2. In Vernon area try Vernon and District Animal Care Society for spay/neuter of owned animals.
3. In Kelowna area (Lake Country to Peachland) try Kelowna BCSPCA 250 861-7722 for spay/neuter of owned pets. They receive an annual grant from R.D.C.O. to assist with spay/neuter for low income owners.
4. State your household income in this application (proof required), and how much you can afford to contribute to the vet invoice. If you can pay $150-200 average for cat, and $250-350 average for dogs through our partner vets, you will get approved faster if your income qualifies for low cost spay/neuter.
5. For an OHS subsidy to help with the above prices a volunteer will be in contact to determine eligibility and a payment plan. This will delay authorization to the vet. Saving for the full amount is recommended.
6. Keep pets inside and prevent inter-breeding while you wait for authorization. Indicate which vet your prefer to use we will try to honor if they offer OHS discounted services.