Mining survey: Impact of new technologies and innovations on skills and workforce requirements in the mining and mining supply services sectors
Workforce Planning Boards across northern Ontario are collecting information from local employers in the mining and mining supply/services sectors. This survey also includes questions relevant to firms that provide professional-technical as well as ICT-High Tech services to these sectors.
The objective of this survey is to understand the workforce and skills that will be required to support the range of new technologies and innovations that are or will be implemented over the next 3-5 years in the mining and mining supply/services sectors. Many of these changes are driven by, but not exclusive to: improving safety and efficiency, mitigating risk, minimizing environmental footprint, reducing production and workforce costs, increasing global competitiveness, creating ‘smart’ mines, and increasing profitability.
ABOUT THIS RESEARCH PROJECT:
This research project has two main components:
- this survey which should take about 20 minutes to complete and be done by a person who is familiar with new technologies and innovations being implemented and the workforce skills that will be required
- stakeholder interviews – the research team might reach out to you to participate in these interviews
FOR THIS SURVEY:
- complete the survey only once for your company
- answer all questions as accurately and completely as possible
YOUR INPUT IS ESSENTIAL TO HELP UNDERSTAND:
- the size of the current workforce
- new technologies and innovations that will impact on the size of the workforce and skills required
- occupations that require new skills
- opportunities to up-skill and/or re-skill the current workforce
- recommendations to help inform employers, employment, education and training services and programs
This survey has been designed to protect your identity. All answers provided will be treated in strict confidence and will be used for statistical purposes and published in aggregate form only. A copy of the results will be made available following the completion of the research report. If you are interested in a copy of the research report or would like to be contacted for a stakeholder interview, please provide your email address at the end of the survey.
If you require assistance to complete the survey, have any questions about it, or would prefer to have someone ask you the questions directly, please contact our office and one of our interviewers will contact you to arrange a convenient time.
Workforce Planning for Sudbury & Manitoulin
705-675-5822 or 1-800-344-6581