Dear KEC Member,

KEC purchases most of the power used by its members from the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) under a long-term power supply contract. The power purchased under that contract provides us access to inexpensive, renewable power produced by several federal hydroelectric dams operating in the Columbia River Basin. Those resources are producing at capacity and any additional power required by our members must be purchased from other non-federal resources. Currently, about 95% of our power is supplied by BPA with the remaining 5% supplied by others but, as KEC grows, this balance will change over time.

In securing power from non-federal resources, KEC can specify how the power is produced. For instance, we can specify the power come from only renewable sources. We could even specify it come exclusively from solar or from wind resources operating in Idaho. Alternatively, we could require the power come from the least expensive form of production and be indifferent to the environmental characteristics of production.

These choices can have cost implications. We would like to better understand how our members feel about the source of the power they consume and the cost premium they would be willing to pay for renewable power.

Please help us answer these questions by responding to this survey by December 15, 2017 and be entered into a drawing for a $50 energy credit. You can also contact us anytime at www.kec.com or call us Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at (208) 765-1200.

Sincerely,

Doug Elliott, General Manager
Kootenai Electric Cooperative

T