Who is ELIGIBLE to participate in the South Dakota Mentoring Program?
- Must be a first year teacher employed by a South Dakota public school (or started teaching no sooner than January of 2019).
What is the DURATION of the New Teacher's commitment to the program?
- New teachers agree to participate in the mentor program for a period of two years.
What is REQUIRED of a New Teacher?
- Must obtain administrative sign-off to participate in the program
- Must attend one kick-off day with assigned Mentor
- July 23, 2019 - Sioux Falls
- July 23, 2019 - Aberdeen
- July 26, 2019 - Rapid City
- August 9, 2019 - Brookings
- September 13, 2019 (makeup date) - Pierre
- September 13, 2019 (makeup date) - Rapid City
- Must participate in 34 hours of mentoring - Minimum 18 hours of which must be face-to-face
- Must attend Summer Academy
- June 3 & 4 (2020) in Sioux Falls
THESE ACTIVITIES WILL BE REPEATED FOR YEAR TWO
What is the COMPENSATION for a new teacher participating in the South Dakota Mentor Program?
- Meals and mileage reimbursement to attend Kick-Off
- Mileage and Hotel reimbursement to attend Summer Academy
- Mileage reimbursement for face-to-face mentoring if traveling between towns
- Upon completion of the requirements of the two-year program, certified teachers will have met the credit requirements to renew their teacher certificate.
- Participation in the mentor program and purchasing credit both years will satisfy the district mentoring requirements for alternative certification teachers.
- Reimbursement will go through the school districts.
- Kick-Off - If attending September 13th.