2023 BOLD Amandla Training Application
1. Course Description
Amandla! Organizer Training: Purpose, Power and Praxis| June 5th -Sept 22nd
This year’s Amandla Organizer Training will merge Fundamentals and Praxis into a three month cohort. The course, centered in the Black Transformative Organizing (BTO) Tradition, seeks to combine personal transformation and transformation of our relationships into our fight for Black liberation, radical social change, and a just society. The first two weeks will focus on BTO core theory and history, the fundamental skills of base-building and leadership development, as well as an embodied approach to learning and developing those skills. During the third week of Praxis, participants are “live”on a concrete campaign hosted by a BOLD organization adding critical capacity to the group’s organizing drive, while also building their own skills, and participating in classroom training that deepens their understanding of campaign work.
In this three month course, we teach participants to:
- Practice the art and science of Black Organizing with greater understanding, commitment and effectiveness;
- Recognize what motivates them to organize and how to use that motivation as fuel to drive their organizing work and connect them deeply to others;
- Assess their organizing with greater accuracy and identify at least one major competency that they are excited--and committed--to increasing;
- Contribute to building and sustaining powerful teams, whether as team lead or as a member; and
- Integrate the theory and practice of Transformative Organizing in their work.
- Participate effectively in an organizing campaign:
- Contribute powerfully to designing and implementing an organizing campaign, and more accurately measure its impact;
- Build on and deepen relationships with other Black organizers in the context of shared work.
Who Should Apply: Applicants should be new Black organizers and/or organizers, at Black / Black-Led organizing formation or a multiracial organization with significant Black leadership in its staff and in its membership, who have not had the opportunity to experience training on the fundamental art and science of organizing through the Black Radical Tradition. Applicants must be able to attend ALL retreat and Praxis dates. Priority will be given to organizations whose Director / Executive Director is a BOLD Alumni.
Course Dates: June 5-9; July 24-28, Sept 18-22. (Travel day is Monday and departure time is Friday after 6 PM EST.)
Location: Weeks 1 & 2 will be BOLD Pineview; Praxis location to be determined
Tuition: $6,000 plus organizations are responsible for covering applicant transportation costs. *Sliding scale and Scholarships are available.
Application Period: February 6th - April 6th, 2023