Traumatic Experiences Study
Participant Consent Form
What is the purpose of this research?
We are collecting information about people’s exposure to different types of trauma, and their feelings and beliefs about these experiences.
Who is conducting the research?
This research is being conducted by a team of researchers at three universities in the United
Kingdom, USA and Australia. The Principal Investigators are: Dr. Melanie Takarangi (Flinders
University and University of Leicester), Rashelle Smith (Flinders University) and Dr. Deryn Strange
(John Jay College of Criminal Justice). Other members of the research team are: Dr. Heather Flowe and Caitlin Lloyd (University of Leicester); Evan Dawson (John Jay College of Criminal Justice).
Our clinical consultant is Dr. Preeti Chauhan (John Jay College of Criminal Justice).
This research has been approved by the Psychology Research Ethics Committee at the University of Leicester, the John Jay College Institutional Review Board and the Social and Behavioural Research Ethics Committee at Flinders University.
What is involved if you agree to participate?
- To qualify for the study you must be at least 18 years of age, and a resident of the USA, UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
- If you agree to participate in this study, you will be asked to complete two sets of questionnaires online, some now and some in approximately three months time. Each set of questionnaires will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
- These questionnaires involve some questions about traumatic events that may have happened to you, and how you feel about those events. You do not have to talk in detail about these events and you do not have to answer any questions you do not feel comfortable answering. You may stop participating at any time.
- Should you become upset at any point during the process, please call the toll-free numbers for assistance or refer to the websites listed (see below; the link to this information is provided on each page of the questionnaire).
- If you wish to withdraw your first set of questionnaire data, or withdraw from the study before completing the second set of questionnaires, please contact one of the principal investigators (contact details are listed below).
Are there any risks involved in participating?
It is possible that you may experience some psychological discomfort in answering some of the questions about past traumatic experiences and how they are currently affecting you. If you think that you may find it distressing to think about traumatic events that you have experienced then we advise that you do not participate in this study. If you decide to participate and become upset, a number of contact details are provided below, for services in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Remember also that your Doctor is a great source of assistance. You can also contact our clinical consultant Dr. Preeti Chauhan directly: firstname.lastname@example.org