Civic Team - Intern Application - Spring 2013
The NYU Civic Team is composed of students who are highly dedicated to serving as advocates and allies in their communities and are equally committed to learning effective ways to bridge social justice and civic engagement. As part of their training and experiential learning, the NYU Civic Team will learn to critically think about the interconnectedness and interdependence of human kind to all living things and the environment. They will examine positive and effective ways to promote social justice, improve the quality of life on earth and create a healthy and sustainable living environment for all living things. They will explore a wide spectrum of successful social change models created through grassroots and community-based initiatives as well as governmental and policy-driven initiatives, and explore the possibilities not yet achieved by visionaries in the field.
The idea of a volunteer team is central to the success of this group. With a current membership of over 800, the Civic Team provides greatly needed support to non-profit agencies serving at-risk youth, underserved communities, senior citizens, homebound elderly, and homeless New Yorkers. Since 1989, over 6,000 Civic Team members have provided instrumental services to the NYU and NYC community.
The interns will commit to 10-15 hrs per week. As the specific duties of the interns will vary per site, some of the general expectations of the students through the program include, but are not limited to:
* Coordinating volunteers
* Assisting with office support
* Providing additional educational resources for volunteers
* Facilitating group reflections
* Participating in all Civic Team trainings
* Working with your team to develop a special project for your agency
* Attending all required events and programs for the Civic Team and your agency
* Maintaining in good standing with the University as a fully matriculated student
* Abiding by all agency, Student Activities, New York University, guidelines, procedures, and policies
* Serving as an ambassador of the Civic Team,Student Activities, New York University, and your agency
PLEASE NOTE: This is an unpaid internship. However, if you have Federal Work Study, you are able to use it with this program, or you can get course credit for your experience:
* FEDERAL WORK STUDY: If you have Federal Work Study, you are eligible to be paid according to your award amount.
* COURSE CREDIT: Students participating in the Civic Team are able to enroll in a new credit bearing course, UPADM-GP 560 Service and Social Justice: Fieldwork Experience, being offered through the Wagner School of Public Service. This course can be taken for 0 - 2 credits.
You must also be available to attend the following events:
- Civic Team Intern Meetings, Every other Tuesday evening starting on February 5, 2013 2 6PM (Min attendance at 3 sessions required)
- Civic Team Diversity Training - TBA
What internships are available?
For more information on what positions are available and full job descriptions, please visit: www.nyu.edu and search Civic Team
If you have any questions regarding the Civic Team program of the Intern position, please feel free to contact Diana Lugo-Martinez [email@example.com (212-998-4201)]