Leadership Scholars Program Class 5 Leader Application - Parent/Guardian Section
1. Description of Leadership Scholars
The Leadership Scholars Program’s mission is to develop leadership skills for inner-city elementary students (Scholars) and high school students (Leaders) who mentor them. Our vision is to produce exemplary young leaders of character who will serve their schools and communities as leaders and role models, positively impacting both their educational and socio-economic environments. The participating grade schools are: Corryville Catholic, Holy Family, Otto Armleder, Prince of Peace, Resurrection of Our Lord, St. Boniface, St. Francis de Sales, St. Francis Seraph, St. Joseph. The participating high schools are: Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy, Elder, Purcell Marian, Roger Bacon, Seton, Summit Country Day. The 2007 – 2008 school year was the first year of our program. During the 2010-2011 school year, there were approximately 120 juniors and seniors, 30 sophomores, 25 freshmen, and 90 seventh and eighth-grade students participating in our program, for a total of more than 260 students from about 28 schools throughout Greater Cincinnati.
It is both expected and required that the Leaders and Scholars involved in the Program participate for two years.
The time requirements for Leaders are as follows:
- hour-long meeting each week, after school, at the grade school (Leaders will facilitate the meetings, which are focused on leadership).
- Leadership Development Workshop every other month (these occur on Sundays).
- Field trip every other month.
- High School outing with Scholars every other month.
- team of high school Leaders and grade school Scholars
- Scholars and Leaders will attend one high school function, such as an athletic event, play, fair, etc., together every other month
- in the past, we have taken field trips to the Reds Games, Camp Joy, Bengals Practice, a concert at UC’s College Conservatory of Music, and the Cincinnati Art Museum
- Reds Game Field Trip, Leader Training Retreat (mid-August), Leadership Scholars Family Cookout (beginning of September)
For more information about the Leadership Scholars Program, please visit our website at www.leadershipscholars.org