East Rock Community Magnet School (ERCM) will offer preschool for 3- and 4-year olds (PreK3 and PreK4) in the new school building on Nash Street starting in September 2013. The structure of preschool at ERCM will have a strong impact on Kindergarten (and beyond) enrollment at ERCM.
This survey is designed to gather information from parents in the attendance zone about their interest and preferences for preschool at ERCM, and takes less than 5 minutes to complete.
In New Haven Public Schools, preschool options are typically
- Neighborhood preference (preference given to children living in the attendance zone) vs no neighborhood preference
- Sibling preference (preference given to children with siblings currently attending the school) vs no sibling preference
- Free vs sliding scale
- Half-day vs full-day (full-day classes run the length of the normal school day or longer)
Details of the preschool program at ERCM are currently being developed. However, it is currently thought that
- There will be neighborhood (attendance zone) preference
- There will be sibling preference
- Preschool classes will either be free or on a sliding scale
- There will be 2 half-day PreK3 classes (20 students per class; 40 PreK3 students total)
- There will be 2 half-day PreK4 classes (20 students per class; 40 PreK4 students total)
- PreK4 slots at ERCM will be filled FIRST with students who attended PreK3 at ERCM the previous year (2014 and beyond)
- Kindergarten slots at ERCM will be filled FIRST with students who attended PreK4 at ERCM the previous year (2014 and beyond)
-- There are 52 Kindergarten spots in total. Two half-day PreK4 classes mean 40 children will have preferential enrollment in Kindergarten. If PreK4 is one full-day class (20 students total), then 20 children will have preferential enrollment in Kindergarten.