If I participate in this study, what will I be asked to do?
1) Track your activity during the workday for 8 weeks. We will provide tracking tools for you.
2) Wear an activity monitor for a total of 21 days (three 7-day periods). This small monitor is worn around your waist during the day.
3) Record your food intake for a total of 9 days (three 3-day periods).
4) Complete a small packet of questionnaires at the beginning and end of the study. This should take 15-20 minutes.
5) Attend a testing visit at the beginning and end of the study. You will complete the following tests:
• Metabolic blood panel. Blood will be drawn from a quick finger stick to assess total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL, HDL, and fasting glucose.
• DEXA scan. You will lie down on a body scanner for about 10 minutes to assess body composition.
• Body measurements. A trained research assistant will measure your height, weight, and waist circumference.
• Blood pressure. A trained research assistant will measure your blood pressure using an automated blood pressure cuff.
What will I get for my participation?
1) You will be paid $15 for attending each of the testing visits.
2) You will receive information about your health, including body composition, cholesterol, blood pressure, and physical activity.
3) You will receive individualized strategies for reducing sitting time and increasing physical activity during the workday.