MassBio BioReady Community Ratings Criteria
- Municipal water and sewer available in commercial and industrial areas.
- Zoning allows for biotech laboratory and manufacturing uses by special permit.
- Identified point of contact in town/city hall to assist biotech projects.
Bronze Criteria plus
- Zoning allows for biotech laboratory and manufacturing uses BY RIGHT.
- Municipality has identified buildings and/or land sites for biotechnology uses in municipal plans.
- Municipality convenes site plan review meetings, pronging together all pertinent departments, to provide an overview of the local approvals process for significant commercial and industrial projects.
- Municipality has land sites and/or buildings included in BioSites inventory at www.massachusettssitefinder.com
- Community has identified Priority Development Sites per Chapter 43D
- Municipality has a site designated as a Massachusetts Growth District
Silver Criteria plus
- Municipality has sites or buildings pre-permitted for biotechnology laboratory or manufacturing use,
- Municipality has existing buildings in which biotech laboratory or manufacturing activities are taking place.
Gold Criteria plus
- Municipality’s Board of health has adopted the National Institutes of Health guidelines on rDNA activity as part of its regulations.
- Municipality includes a building or buildings that are already permitted for biotech uses and have 20,000 square feet or more of available space for biotech uses.
- Municipality has a shovel-ready pre-permitted land site with completed MEPA review and municipal water and sewer capacity to meet additional demand.