Competency-based Education in Kentucky Survey
Please base your responses on the following definitions:
Competency: The ability to analyze and synthesize information and transfer learning from one subject to another.
Competency-based Learning: Flexible methods of teaching that enable students to progress as they demonstrate mastery of academic content, regardless of time, pace or place of learning. Performance-based learning is an alternative term for the same concept. According to the International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL), a competency-based system has several attributes:
• Students advance upon mastery.
• Competencies include explicit, measurable, transferable learning objectives that empower student.
• Assessment is meaningful and a positive learning experience for students.
• Students receive timely, differentiated support based on their individual learning needs.
• Learning outcomes emphasize competencies that include application and creation of knowledge, along with the development of important skills and dispositions.