Psychology Department Informed Consent Statement
Study Title: Personality & Attitudes Assessment II
Experimenter(s): Heather Schloss & Matthew Dohn, Ph.D
Description of Experiment: Participants will read a randomly selected short essay and respond to questions asking their opinions about the essay. They will also fill out several personality measures.
In order to participate in this research study, it is necessary that you give your informed consent. By reading the following informed consent statement and clicking on the checkbox marked “I Consent” you are indicating that you understand the nature of the research study and your role in that research and that you agree to participate in the research.
There are no expected risks or discomfort to you as a result of your voluntary participation in this study. Your participation will not lead to any personal benefit; however, you will be helping to contribute to the scientific understanding of human behavior.
Please consider the following points before proceeding:
• I understand that I am participating in psychological research.
• I understand that my identity will not be linked with my data, and that all information I provide will remain confidential.
• I understand that I will be provided with an explanation of the research in which I participated and be given the name and telephone number of an individual to contact if I have questions about the research. In addition, I understand that I may contact the Psychology Department Coordinator of Human Participants Research, Alan Tjeltveit, at 484-664-3420, if I have questions concerning my rights as a participant in psychological research or to report a research-related injury.
• I understand that certain facts about the study might be withheld from me, and the researchers might not, initially, tell me the true or full purpose of the study. However, the complete facts and true purpose of the study will be revealed to me at the completion of the study session.
• I understand that participation in research is not required, is voluntary, and that, after any individual research project has begun, I may refuse to participate further without penalty.
The principal researcher for this study is Dr. Matthew Dohn. He can be reached via email at email@example.com. This study was reviewed and approved by the Muhlenberg College IRB on 3/12/2012 for online data collection. The reviewer was Dr. Dan Doviak (firstname.lastname@example.org).
By clicking the box marked “I Consent” below, I am stating that I am over 18 years of age, a US citizen and that I understand the above information and consent to participate in this study being conducted at Muhlenberg College.