We are pleased to announce that the American Heart Association is accepting applications for women who would like to participate in the 2014 Des Moines Go Red For Women® BetterU Challenge — a challenge that could save your life.
Background: Research shows that most cardiac events can be prevented if women make small, yet life-saving choices for their hearts. Go Red For Women® is the American Heart Association’s national movement to make women aware of their risk for heart disease and provide inspiration to take action to reduce that risk.
Introducing the 2014 Des Moines Go Red For Women® BetterU Challenge! We will be selecting 12 women in the Des Moines area, who will be profiled on our Web site and in the media. Finalists are encouraged to adopt lifestyle changes such as increased physical activity and healthy eating and record their experiences through an online blog, social media and other public outlets. We hope that others will follow these women through their challenge, and be inspired to begin a healthy lifestyle of their own. Applicant must:
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Live or work in Des Moines or surrounding areas
• Have at least one area of health they would like to improve (i.e. weight, blood pressure, physical activity, etc.)
• Have access to a computer and internet
Women chosen to participate in the Go Red For Women® Challenge will take part in a 12-week program valued at over $500.
Participants will be provided with tools, resources and support needed to make healthy changes in their lives. As part of the Go Red For
Women® Challenge, the participants will receive a cardiac risk assessment and counseling with a nurse practitioner from Iowa Heart Center, access to a dietician from Mercy Weight Loss & Nutrition Center, and a membership to the YMCA Healthy Living Center. Each participant will also take part in pre and post-wellness screenings which will measure height, weight, inches, body mass index, blood pressure, cholesterol, HDL/LDL, triglycerides and blood glucose.
As part of this challenge, our final applicants will be required to complete the following:
• Pre and Post Lipid Profile lab work
• Pre and Post consultations with a cardiologist, dietician, and fitness facility • Attend the Challenge Kick-off Meeting on Monday, July 14 at 5:30 pm.
• Attend at least 50% of group activities throughout the duration of the Challenge
• Commit to at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise (or a combination of the two) per week for the duration of the Challenge
• Attend the Go Red for Women® Luncheon on Friday, October 17, 2014 • Serve as a spokesperson for the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women® Movement (This may require being a part of the luncheon and standing on stage in front of 450+ in the audience. NO SPEAKING during the luncheon will be required.)
We are looking for a diverse group of individuals with respect to age, lifestyle, marital status, ethnicity, and physical health. You do not have to be a model or a particular body type; it is more important to us that we have a diverse group of positive thinkers. Most importantly we are looking for people who are ready to make a positive change to their health (examples: lose weight, lower cholesterol, reduce stress, quit smoking, etc.).
If you would like to be considered for the Go Red For Women® Challenge, please fill out the attached application and return it along with a color photo (which will not be returned) to:
American Heart Association
1111 9th Street, Suite 280
Des Moines, Iowa 50314
Applications must be submitted by June 20, 2014. Applicants selected to participate will be notified by July 1, 2014 and the Challenge kick-off will be July 14, 2014.