For persons and families renting a house,
New Emergency Rental Assistance is available to
income-qualified persons to help pay rent and utilities.

Eligible Households may receive up to 12 months rental & utility assistance, as well as payment of any back rent you owe. There are no geographic restrictions, so Tolowa Households anywhere in the US can receive assistance, if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Am I eligible?
Fill out the application and find out.
In general, your household is eligible if:

1)    Your household income is 80% or less than the Area Median Income, where you live. (Ranges from a maximum of $40,000- $78,000/yr for a family of four, depending on where you live.)

2)    You have experienced a loss of income (or increased expenses), even temporary, since March 13, 2020.

The questions in the application will help guide you to determining if you are eligible. Many families qualify, but may not realize it. Apply and find out.

What is the assistance?
Emergency Assistance can pay for RENT, and UTILITIES, for up to 12 months. Past-due rent or utility bills can also be paid. Payments are made directly to your landlord and/or utility company. Federal guidelines limit this program to Rental Assistance only, not mortgage assistance.

How Do I apply?
1. Fill out the application, attaching a copy of your lease and income information. We will ask you information on your income, household size, and your employment situation as well as for an electronic copy (photo or scan) of your rental agreement. All information is used only for the assistance determination and will be kept strictly confidential.

2. Sign or type your name.

I'm not able to apply online, can you help?
Yes, call Main Office, 707-487-9255, and ask for help with Emergency Rental Assistance Application. We will help you apply.

How long does it take to find out if I will get assistance?
We should hear back within 10 days. Staff will contact you for next steps.

Is this limited to the 5-County Service Area?
No, this funding comes from the US Treasury, and all Tribal Households, regardless of location, can apply. 

What is considered utilities?
Utilities are electricity, water, sewer, and any home-heating bill such as oil, gas, or wood. Internet & phone bills are not eligible for payment.

Are there any restrictions?
Payments to related parties are allowed with conditions: lease is for premises at a separate location, & was in place prior to Jan. 1, 2020.
The Program takes a broad view of "Tribal Families", so if your household has any Tolowa  connection, we encourage you to apply.
This funding cannot duplicate any other federal assistance.
Also, federal guidelines limit this program to RENT  & UTILITIES only, not mortgage assistance.
The application questions address some other program details.
If you have an unusual situation, we encourage you to provide details, so we can see if you might be eligible.
0 of 31 answered