1. In the present study you will be asked to rate pictured Males on short-term and long-term dating desirability, you will be given several psychological questionnaires assessing various facets of yourself (e.g., sexuality, personality, etc.), and you will be asked several questions about yourself (e.g., age, birth control use, etc.). This study will require two, independent sessions of participation; both sessions will be completed online. If you agree to participate you will fill out a brief pre-session interview that will include a contact e-mail address, and answer a few questions relating to your ovulatory cycle and birth control use. You will also be creating a Participant Identification Number (PIN) to be used during both sessions of this study. After the researcher receives this information you will receive, via email, a link for your first session of participation. Your second session will be scheduled and e-mailed to you, along with a new link, by the researcher after you have completed the first session; you will use the same PIN for session 1 and 2. Please understand that by consenting to participate in this study you are consenting to participate in both sessions. It is important that you complete your second session within 24 hours of the scheduled date; this should not be difficult as all sessions are completed online. Note that the pre-session interview questions will be stored in a database independent from this consent form; further securing your anonymity.
2. You are free to discontinue your participation at any time without penalty. You may also skip any measures, questions, or ratings that make you feel uncomfortable, though the researchers would appreciate that you attempt to answer all items and rate all photos. Even if you withdraw from the study, you will receive any entitlements that have been promised to you in exchange for your participation, such as extra credit..
3. Participation in this research study enters you into a raffle for a $50 cash prize. Additionally you may receive extra credit from participating instructors.
4. You will be provided with an inter-session debriefing after the completion of the first session. You will be fully debriefed, have the full nature of the study disclosed to you, after you have completed your second session.
5. If you agree to participate in this two session study, it will take approximately an hour per session.
6. All data from this study will be kept from inappropriate disclosure and will be accessible only to the researcher and her faculty advisor. I am not interested in individual responses; I am looking for trends within the overall sample.
7. The present research is designed to reduce the possibility of any negative experiences as a result of participation. In order to minimize risks I have included an inter-session debriefing to provide you, the participant, with any information that may be helpful to you during the interim between your initial participation and your full debriefing.
8. This research study is being conducted by Heather Adams. Her faculty supervisor is Dr. Luevano, Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology and Child Development, California State University, Stanislaus (209-667-3096, VLuevano@csustan.edu). If you have questions or concerns about your participation in this study, you may contact the researcher via e-mail (HAdams@csustan.edu).
9. If you have any questions about your rights as a research participant, you may contact the California State University, Stanislaus Campus Compliance Officer, Lauren Gee, at (209) 667-3747.
10. You will be given the opportunity to copy/save/print this consent form at the end of your participation, or you may do so now before submitting it.
11. By stating that you are 18 years of age or older, and by selecting “Yes, I consent to participate in this study,” you are indicating that you are freely consenting to participate in the two sessions of the present study.