PURPOSE OF THE RESEARCH
This is an invitation to participate in a study conducted by researchers at the University of Wollongong. The purpose of the research is to investigate the relationship between sexual orientation disclosure and concealment and discrimination in the workplace (referred to as heterosexism) and the effect this has on the well-being of GLBT employees with regard to psychological well-being, mental health, job satisfaction and satisfaction with life.
|Dr Lindsay Oades (Team Leader)||Dr Grace McCarthy||Ian Smith|
|Sydney Business School||Sydney Business School||Sydney Business School|
|02 42214067||02 42214067||02 42214067|
METHOD & DEMANDS ON PARTICIPANTS
I am looking for GLBT individuals over 18 years of age who may wish to complete a 15 minute anonymous on line survey regarding ONLY their experiences in the workplace. The survey contains a biographical section and eight short tools. Participation is completely voluntary and if you wish to discontinue participation at any time, you are free to do so without a problem. However, once you complete the survey (and press submit) you will not be able to withdraw/discontinue your participation or your data as the anonymous responses will be saved. No findings which could identify any individual participant will be published (for example in the thesis or any other article publications which may arise from the study). The anonymity of your participation will be assured and only aggregate data will be published. Only my supervisors and I will have access to the data, which will be combined with those from other participants and stored for five years in accordance with the university regulations. Your completion of the survey indicates your consent. Additionally, information obtained in the course of this research project may be used for another research project. You will consent by completing the survey.
The tools to be completed:<dd>
- The Workplace Heterosexist Experience Questionnaire (WHEQ). This asks questions about your experiences in your workplace in relation to your sexual orientation;
- The Workplace Sexual Identity Management Scale (WSIMM). This asks questions about how you manage your sexual identity in your workplace;
- The Depression Anxiety and Stress Scale (DASS). This tool asks questions around what symptoms you may experience due to you managing your sexual identity in the workplace;
- The Degree of Disclosure Scale (DODS). This asks questions about how out you are in your workplace;
- The Workplace Equality Index (WEI). This asks questions about how supportive your workplace is regarding your sexual orientation;
- Psychological Well-being Scale. This asks questions around your autonomy, relatedness and competence in your workplace;
- Job Satisfaction Scale (JSS). This asks general questions around how you feel about your job; and
- The Satisfaction with Life Scale (SWLS). This asks general questions about how you feel about your life in general.