1. In the present study you will be asked to rate pictured females on several traits (e.g. intelligence, facial
attractiveness, etc.), you will be given several psychological questionnaires assessing various facets of
yourself (e.g. sexuality, personality, etc.), and you will be asked several questions about yourself (e.g.
age, birth control use, etc.). This study will require two, independent sessions of participation; both
sessions will be completed online. If you agree to participate you will fill out a brief pre-session
interview that will include a contact e-mail address, and answer a few questions relating to your
ovulatory cycle and birth control use. After researchers receive this information they will randomly
assign you a participant ID number and a link for your first session of participation. Your second session
will be scheduled and e-mailed to you, along with a new link, by the researchers after you have
completed the first session; you will use the same participant ID number assigned to you for session 1
for session 2 as well. Please understand that by consenting to participate in this study you are consenting
to participate in both sessions. It is important that you complete your second session within 24 hours of
the scheduled date; this should not be difficult as all sessions are completed online. Note that the presession
interview questions will be stored in a database independent from this consent form; further
securing your anonymity.
2. You are free to discontinue your participation at any time without penalty. You may also skip any
measures, questions, or ratings that make you feel uncomfortable, though the researchers would
appreciate that you attempt to answer all items and rate all photos. Even if you withdraw from the study,
you will receive any entitlements that have been promised to you in exchange for your participation,
such as extra credit. Note that 1 point of extra credit will be awarded per session. Failure to participate in
the second session will not result in 2 points of extra credit; 1 point per session attempted/completed.
3. Participation in this research study does not guarantee any benefits to you other than extra credit in
participating instructor’s courses. However, possible benefits include the fact that you may learn
something about the research processes involved in the field of psychology.
4. You will be provided with an inter-session debriefing after the completion of the first session. You will
be fully debriefed, have the full nature of the study disclosed to you, after you have completed your
5. If you agree to participate in the study, it will take approximately an hour per session.
6. All data from this study will be kept from inappropriate disclosure and will be accessible only to the
researchers and their faculty advisor. We are not interested in individual responses; we are looking for
trends within our overall sample.
7. The present research is designed to reduce the possibility of any negative experiences as a result of
participation. In order to minimize risks we have included an inter-session debriefing to provide you, the participant, with any information that may be helpful to you during the interim between your initial
participation and your full debriefing.
8. This research study is being conducted by Joseph Gonzales and Heather Adams. Their faculty
supervisor is Dr. Luevano, Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology and Child Development,
California State University, Stanislaus (209-667-3096, VLuevano@csustan.edu). If you have questions
or concerns about your participation in this study, you may contact the researchers via e-mail