The process of survey and measured recording of archaeology is a vital part of understanding and protecting historic remains. The creation of a permanent record is essential in providing a storable archive for archaeology and a dataset for the benefit of current and future research.
Often this record might be the only data which is attributed to a site and the quality of that record is, therefore, all the more important. For that record to fulfil both its function and potential it has to be complete, accurate, unambiguous and of appropriate quality. In addition all archive data should be accessible and preserved under the correct conditions.
In order to provide understanding and support for those undertaking archaeological measured survey and recording, and to raise the profile of those recording archaeological sites, we have developed a questionnaire aimed at those working in this area. We would be grateful if you could complete this online survey by August 1 2012. If you would like to receive a hard copy of this survey to complete, please contact email@example.com with your name and address and we will post one out to you.
Your answers will be confidential and not passed on to anyone or shared with any organisation without your permission.
The intention of the survey is to help us to provide better support and service for those involved in archaeological survey and recording and to achieve the following objectives;
• to raise the profile of archaeological survey and recording within the industry
• to raise the profile and status of those carrying out survey and measured recording within the archaeological sector
• to provide up to date information and support to those carrying out these tasks
• to introduce method standardisation and raise quality across the profession
• to facilitate communication between those involved in archaeological survey and recording, and other specialists
If you have any comments or ideas about how achieve these objectives, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.