BoardConnect Diversity & Inclusion Board Training Program
VolunteerConnect is focused on increasing diversity on nonprofit boards. Many nonprofits find themselves with homogeneous boards. Black and brown-led organizations often have difficulty attracting white board members and many white-led boards struggle to welcome and include people of color. Board diversity is essential to effective execution of mission and strategy. VolunteerConnect is inviting applicants for a pilot program focusing on specialized training to support enhanced diversity on nonprofit boards. The goal of this program is to train individuals with an interest in serving on boards, and willing to partner with selected nonprofits that are focused to increase diversity on their boards.
The Nonprofit board members and potential board members will participate in the program together. Participants and one board member from each nonprofit must attend all sessions to foster relationship building and achieve comprehensive learning.
- Training on topics including Board Governance, Navigating Diversity and Inclusion, Fiduciary Responsibilities, Fundraising and Legal Issues.
- The opportunity to meet and be matched with trained potential board member participants from the program including participation at the Meet & Greet Nonprofit Fair on April 29th. This Fair will provide you the opportunity to talk one on one with the prospective board members . We have a “speed-dating” like format, followed by an open networking session to give you additional time to connect with the candidates.
- Additional training with subject expert in facilitating and cultivating cultural inclusiveness.
The nonprofit agrees to:
- Send one board member to attend all training sessions.
- Identify a Board "peer" to work with the new board member in order to maximize their opportunity to take on an active role on the board after the participant has accepted an offer to be on your board.
- Understand that while it is the hope that your Board is matched with a potential board member, it is possible that you will not find a good match for your Board.
We will select nonprofit participants based on their organization's willingness to undertake a reflective process, and their clear articulation of a mission-driven need for increased diversity.