Awardee Characteristics – Excellence in Health Care or Nursing Advocacy
In 2009 the Northwest Organization of Nurse Executives, in their commitment helping nurse leaders find and effectively use their professional voice, initiated an award for Excellence in Health Care or Nursing Advocacy. This award was specifically created to recognize those nurse leader or aspiring nurse leaders who have had a significant impact on health policy or policy impacting nursing practice through their knowledge, ability to influence others, active involvement in legislative process, support for political action committees, and or their courage in addressing difficult and political issues. Appropriate candidates for this award will possess the knowledge skill and ability to address political and legislative issues and the courage to do so. They are people who have found their voice and who have been willing to use it to influence legislative and political process. They demonstrate characteristics which include: :
• Demonstrates a working knowledge of political and legislative process
• Demonstrates the ability to fully research and gain broad knowledge of a political issue(s), understand all sides of an issue, and have awareness of the stakeholders to an issue
• Is articulate and demonstrates skill in public speaking
• Demonstrates the ability to align others around a vision or cause and can be creative in his or her approaches
• Demonstrates skill in coalition building, promoting open communication and inclusiveness
• Demonstrates exceptional skill at synthesis. Is able to connect and bring together seemingly disconnected points of view into a cohesive whole.
• Has skill in making the collective stronger than the individual
• Is able to generate enthusiasm and build stakeholder support for political action.
• Is able to make connections between the past, present and future that advances his or her position within a broad context.
• Contributes to the achievement of common goals by giving power and respect to the voice of others, integrating individual differences, resolving competing interests and safeguarding contributions essential to the achievement of optimal outcomes.
• Acts with the highest level of personal integrity
• Inquires actively, seeking to hear, respect and understand the opinions and views of others
• Is visibly open, authentic and straightforward with others.
• Is quick to recognize and affirm others. Gives credit to others for their work.
• Is a creative, courageous, and resilient risk taker – has actively moved his/her position through a legislative approval process
• Holds his/herself accountable to high professional and behavioral standards
• Sets an inspiring example
• Is known for “making things happen”, and getting the job done.