Stories for Soils Online Journal
Dear Reader and Recycler/Composter,
Reading, Recycling, and Composting are all important for you and your community! The Georgia Recycling Coalition (GRC) is excited to encourage both reading and these waste reduction activities through the Read for Recycling and Stories for Soils programs. Read for Recycling is part of the state of Georgia’s America Recycles Day (ARD) celebration the week of November 15. Visit americarecyclesday.org for complete ARD information. Stories for Soils is part of Georgia’s International Compost Awareness Week (ICAW) celebration in early May. ICAW is the largest and most comprehensive education initiative of the compost industry. Visit compostfoundation.org/ICAW for complete information. Twice a year (during ARD in November, and ICAW in May) students are encouraged to read books that celebrate, educate, and encourage organics, soils, and composting activities, and recycling and waste reduction activities, respectively.
Follow these easy steps to participate:
1. Read a minimum of five (5) compost books in May, record them, and write down fun facts from the book in your Reading Journal.
2. Once completed, submit this online form,
or print and mail your Reading Journal to:
Attn: GRC Education
725 Hancock Industrial Way
Athens, Georgia 30605
3. The Reading Journal is due to GRC by May 15 for ICAW.
4. AWARD(S): Six participating students from K-12 will be randomly drawn to win a $50 book store gift card!
5. Teachers/Media Center Award: The teacher and/or media center specialist with the most student participation will receive a class set of waste reduction books for their classroom.