MEMShop is a place-based microbusiness incubator program that provides managerial assistance, financial incentives, and other resources to help develop and grow startup and existing businesses. We help reduce blight and increase neighborhood vitality by activating vacant and underused storefronts with vetted small businesses that are interested in investing in the community where they open.
We desire to see businesses open, grow, learn and become part of the neighborhood’s activation.
- Increase new business starts and help existing businesses grow.
- Find long-term tenants for vacant commercial spaces.
- Reduce blight and increase overall neighborhood economic vitality.
- Low-risk test for entrepreneurs
- Intensive business managerial training
- Rent negotiation assistance and subsidized rental rates
- Assistance with marketing planning and a grand opening event
MEMShop is open to startup or existing for-profit businesses desiring a brick and mortar location. Whitehaven and Frayser residents will be given special consideration. All selected MEMShop businesses must agree to these program requirements, including but not limited to:
- Signing at least a 12-month lease with a property owner;
- Providing general liability insurance and utilities;
- Submitting to MEMShop’s monthly reporting requirements such as income and expense information, sales tax reporting, and job creation information;
- Complying with MEMShop storefront façade and cleanliness requirements;
- Completing marketing activities to drive foot traffic; and
- Participation in business managerial consulting and training services.
Communities Unlimited is recruiting a total of 3 businesses for Whitehaven and 3 businesses for Frayser communities for launch by the end of 2021. Program applications are being accepted through December 31st, 2020 or until all business selections are made, whichever comes first.
Click Next to Complete the MEMShop Application