San Francisco is experiencing an encampment and shelter shortage crisis:
- Over 8,000 311 cases opened regarding illegal encampments in 2017 (view up-to-date 311 case data)
- Over 1,000 people on the 311 90-Day Shelter Waitlist and insufficient number of Navigation Center beds
- No current programming to improve health, safety, community-access conditions, and pathways to transition at encampments prior to DHSH encampment resolution and DPW/SFPD "sweeps"
The Saint Francis Homelessness Challenge is a community-based nonprofit organization fiscally sponsored by Intersection for the Arts. SFHC organizes with encampment residents, neighbors, volunteers, & City services to:
- Assess and address health, safety, and community access conditions at existing encampments
- Develop, pilot, and administer secure and organized interim shelter opportunities to support the health, safety, and transition of encampment residents
SFHC has been piloting and refining the following proposals since January 2016 and recently presented them to local government officials in March/April 2017. Help SFHC implement our proposals by showing your support below and including your name and zip code (e-mail is optional, but required for follow-up).