Duties and Responsibilities of Lancers
· Lancers serve as official student public relations representatives of The University of Alabama in Huntsville.
· Lancers assist at university sponsored events and receptions involving external and/or internal constituents with priority given to functions hosted by the university president and the Office of Advancement.
· Lancers must represent The University of Alabama in Huntsville at all times as exemplary students through personal integrity, academic performance, and uphold the standards of conduct as described by The University of Alabama in Huntsville student creed.
· Lancers are required to fulfill a minimum of 30 hours of service to UAH annually distributed equally between fall and spring semesters. Lancers who live locally during the summer semester will be called upon to serve in addition to the 30-hour minimum.
· Lancers are required to attend regular meetings in a pattern established by the executive committee and the Lancer advisor for that year.
· Lancers are required to serve at a number of annual university events, including but not limited to, Fall Convocation, Girls Science and Engineering Day, Fall Commencement, and Spring Commencement.
· At the end of spring semester, Lancers who have achieved the required number of service hours, who have met meeting attendance rules, and who have upheld all standards defined in these bylaws will receive an official Lancer pin from the university president.
· Lancers serve a one-year, three consecutive semester, term beginning in spring semester.
· All Lancers must apply annually.
· Lancers must be full-time, currently enrolled undergraduate students and have completed three consecutive semesters at UAH. Graduate students are not eligible to be Lancers.
· Lancers must have an overall grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 upon application and maintain an average GPA of 2.75 during each semester in which they serve. There will be a semi-annual review of each member’s grades conducted by the advisor. Any Lancer with a deficient grade point average will be subject to review by the advisor, with possible dismissal from the group.
· During fall semester of each year, prospective members may enter the selection process through their own accord without the need for nominations.
· Candidates shall complete a written application. After evaluation, suitable candidates will enter a two-stage interview process with an initial and final interview, conducted by a selection committee.
· The selection committee shall be composed of the Lancer advisor, the immediate past president of the Lancers, and two or more representatives of the university appointed by the advisor.
· Current Lancers in good standing may reapply for the coming year, but are not guaranteed selection.
· Lancers are required to attend an annual training program for the purpose of acquainting them with duties and responsibilities of the organization. Failure to complete the training program will result in immediate dismissal from the group.
· Lancers are required to pass an annual test about the university, its people and programs, before beginning service. A score of at least 90 percent is needed to pass. Members who do not achieve at least 90 percent will be required to re-take the test within a time frame set by the Lancer advisor. Two failures will result in dismissal from the group.