Black Women in Sport Foundation (BWSF) Essay Contest 2017
Contestants must be a BWSF program participant.
All students in grades 5th – 12th are welcome to compete.
In 300 words or less, on one written 8.5” x 11” page or less, please write your answer to one of the following questions:
1. Why should Philadelphia youth and families offer respect and gratitude to these 3 pioneers—Venus Williams, Serena Williams and Delores Andy the Former & First Female Philadelphia Recreation Commissioner?
2. How did the 3 pioneers Venus Williams, Serena Williams and Delores Andy the Former & First Female Philadelphia Recreation Commissioner--help create a healthier, more fit environment in Philadelphia?
Essays will not be returned.
• Grades 5th-8th
• Grades 9th-12th
Prizes: If your essay is selected as a winning entry by the judges, you will be awarded a prize:
• First Prize: $50 Target Gift Card
• Second Prize: $25 Target Gift Card
• Third Prize: $10 Target Gift Card
Prizes are awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in each grade category. All Participants will be recognized on BWSF social media.
Date of the Contest: February 6 - 17, 2017
Entry Deadline: All entries must be submitted via email firstname.lastname@example.org or Survey Monkey Link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M7DG76L by February 17, 2017. Finalist will be notified and winners will be announced by February 28, 2017.
For more information, contact: Black Women in Sport Foundation (BWSF) Germaine.email@example.com, 215-877-1925 ext. 320.
Essay Writing Contest Submission Guidelines, Rules and Regulations (continued)
1. No entry fee is required.
2. All entries must be original works, in English. Plagiarism, which includes the use of third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters or another person's ideas, without written permission or proper acknowledgment will result in disqualification.
3. Inappropriate submissions, determined by the judges, will result in disqualification.
4. Entries may not have been previously published in professional media.
5. Entries must be submitted in electronic format via email or our submission form. Essay should be typed, 12 point font or larger and with 1.5 spacing.
6. Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author's name, full mailing address, telephone number and email address, category, age, gender, BWSF program site.
7. Each entrant may submit only one essay per contest.
8. All entries are final. No revisions are accepted.
9. The decisions of the judges are entirely their own, and are final.
10. At the discretion of the judges, all well written essays may be published on the BWSF Web site, newsletter and social media sites. Student images will be used on the BWSF website, newsletter, social media and essay promotion and essay winner announcements.