What is the research about?
The provision of materials and services for LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans) students in school libraries is a largely under researched area, especially in the UK. This study aims to:
• Explore what members of the LGBT community think about the support and services offered to them by their secondary school library
• Explore the views of secondary school librarians regarding provision of support and services for LGBT students
• Establish recommendations for how secondary school libraries can best support their LGBT students
Who will be participating?
We are inviting both librarians and members of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans) community, who are either currently at school, or who left school within the last ten years, to participate in the study.
What will we ask you to do?
We will ask you to complete a brief survey about your experiences of, and thoughts regarding, using your school library to access LGBT services and resources.
What are the risks of participating?
The risks of participating are minimal. We will ensure all information you give us is anonymised and will remain confidential. The survey will contain no sensitive questions. It will focus generally on your information needs and your views regarding the provision of LGBT materials and services in school libraries.
What data will we collect?
We will collect only the information you give us on the survey.
What will we do with the data?
We will be analysing the data for inclusion in an MA dissertation. Once the data has been analysed it will be deleted.
Will your data be confidential?
We will ensure all data you give us is anonymised and will remain confidential until it is deleted.
What will happen to the results of the project?
The results of this study will be included in an MA dissertation which will be publicly available.
If you would like to participate in the study please read the following information carefully and then check the tick-box to give your consent. If you have any questions please feel free to contact either the principal researcher; Janine Walker, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the research supervisor; Jo Bates, at email@example.com.
• I confirm that I have read and understand the description of the research project, and that I have had an opportunity to ask questions about the project.
• I understand that my participation is voluntary and that I am free to withdraw at any time without any negative consequences.
• I understand that I may decline to answer any particular question or questions, or to do any of the activities. If I stop participating at any time, all of my data will be purged.
• I understand that my responses will be kept strictly confidential, that my name or identity will not be linked to any research materials, and that I will not be identified or identifiable in any report or reports that result from the research.
• I give permission for the research team members to have access to my anonymised responses.
• I give permission for the research team to re-use my data for future research as specified above.
• I agree to take part in the research project as described above.