Food Scraps to Compost

The Housatonic Resources Recovery Authority, the Town of Newtown and Go Green Newtown have come together to offer residents a free organics (food scraps) recycling program at the Newtown Transfer Station.

According to the EPA more food reaches landfills and incinerators than any other single material in our everyday trash. Food waste shouldn’t be burned or landfilled: it's wet and heavy which doesn't make burning it at a Waste-to-Energy facility efficient for energy content and creates methane in landfills. The US EPA has identified landfills as the single largest source of methane. It is a potent greenhouse gas that is twenty-three times more efficient at trapping heat than CO2.

Out of the 37 million tons of food waste generated in the U.S. only 5% is being captured to be processed into compost, leaving the other 95% going to landfill or Waste-to-Energy. Compost added to gardens, construction sites, and poor soils makes great things happen! Compost is a unique soil amendment because of its ability to hold moisture and soluble minerals. Properly composted organics are beneficial: It maximizes plant growth, it's effective at preventing soil erosion, it aids in stream and land reclamation, it helps with storm water management and construction sites, it reduces the need for fertilizers and pesticides and its overall soil amendment is to improve soil health by increasing the physical, chemical and biological properties of the soil.

Newtown residents who sign up for the organics program will receive a free collection kit (1 gallon kitchen collection bin, 6 months of compostable bags, 6 gallon carry container, educational material and more). Residents may bring their organic waste to the transfer station as often as they would like and tip their 6 gallon container.  Residents DO NOT need to have a town issued transfer station permit to use the program. 

By providing your contact information, The town of Newtown and the HRRA will be able to contact you regarding program information, announcements and news.  Your information will not be shared with any other party and will only be used for this program.

ONLY FOOD Scraps are allowed in your bin.  No PLASTIC items, stickers, rubber bands or twist ties!
Acceptable Food Waste Items for Organics (Food Scraps) Recycling Program:
* Meat, Poultry (bones also) Fish (including shellfish)
* Dairy Products
* Flower & Vegetable Garden Waste
* Houseplants & Flower Bouquets
* Fruits & Nuts (including pits)
* Vegetables ***Remove stickers, bands and ties***
* Bread, Pasta & Grains
* Sauces, Soup & Gravy
* Coffee Grounds & Filters
* Tea Bags
* Paper Towels & Napkins
* Egg Shells
* Plate Scrapings

Question Title

* 1. Would you like to sign-up for the Newtown food scraps recycling program at the Transfer Station?

Question Title

* 2. Do agree that it is your responsibility to place only the acceptable items in the organics container, free of contamination such as rubber bands, stickers and twist ties that come with some produce. Do you agree that you will keep plastic and other non-compostable items out of the container?

Question Title

* 3. This program will begin Saturday, November 14th at the Newtown Transfer Station. You will receive a free kit that will include a collection and carry container and 6 months supply of compostable bags. Additional bags will be available for you to purchase. If you have any questions regarding the program please send an email to In order to sign-up for this program and to receive your free kit you must provide your contact information below in question 4.

Question Title

* 4. Here is my contact information so that you may contact me regarding the Kick-Off event and other program information.  I understand that my information will not be shared with any other party or used for any other purpose but for this organics program.