ALAO values diversity in its membership, in the profession, and in future library professionals. For that reason, we offer a $1,500 scholarship to a promising student enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLS program who exemplifies the qualities needed to ensure a diverse library workforce. The scholarship funds will be sent to the recipient after institutional enrollment is confirmed by the Diversity Committee chair or designee.
The ALAO Diversity Student Scholarship recipient will be announced at the ALAO Annual Conference and will receive a complimentary registration for the conference and will be assigned a mentor.
A qualified candidate will…
- Be a full time or part time student enrolled in or recently accepted to an ALA-accredited MLS program, either on campus or via distance education, for the fall term following the call for scholarship applications
- Currently live in Ohio
- Demonstrate potential in the field of library and/or information science
- Demonstrate leadership ability
- Demonstrate diversity in one or more ways, including, but not limited to: race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, life experience, physical ability
- Demonstrate commitment to these and other diversity and inclusion issues