The Kansas Council on Developmental Disabilities (KCDD) will provide a limited number of smartphones including 6 months of prepaid service* to qualifying individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities to improve skills and help address social isolation, as a result of Covid-19.
To be eligible, individuals must currently receive Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waiver services, are on the waiting list to receive I/DD HCBS Waiver services, and who currently do not have access to this type of technology. Lack of access to technology must be verified by the Targeted Case Manager (TCM), Care Coordinator, or Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO). Individuals must also be at least 18 years old and live in Kansas.
Selected recipients of the smartphones are expected to participate in virtual, online activities and agree to cooperate with project evaluation feedback about the use of the phones. Recipient expectations include:
· Attend a minimum of 1 event online each month during a 6-month period. Approved activities include, but are not limited to: KCDD and/or Self-Advocate Coalition of Kansas (SACK) virtual events (such as KCDD Coffee House or the SACK Conference), Employment First Conference, Kansas Leadership Center leadership classes, telemedicine appointments, telehealth visits, televideo, national and state conferences and events, Person Centered Support Plans, BASIS/MFEI meetings, online community events, etc.
· Report monthly about the online events or activities attended.
· Participate in online evaluations and/or focus groups.
· Return the phone if requested for failure to participate in attending virtual events.
· The phone may not be used for any illegal activity.
· Call or email KCDD or contracted staff for technical help if needed.
· If the phone is lost or stolen report it immediately by emailing KCDD@kcdd.org or calling 785-296-2608.
* Recipients of a smartphone who cooperate with these requirements will be eligible for an additional 6 months of prepaid service, based on available funding.