City of Fernley 2021-2026 Strategic Planning Process Online Community Survey
Thank you for participating in the confidential, online community survey to help the City of Fernley develop a Strategic Plan for 2021-2026. The results of this survey, combined with information from interviews, small group meetings and a community meeting will be used to develop the Strategic Plan. The plan will be used by the City of Fernley to establish guidelines and goals for future growth. The strategic plan will include:
- A community vision statement of what the Fernley community will be as its population grows and role in the region changes.
- A mission statement for the City of Fernley identifying the roles city government will play in serving the community and managing the transition.
- Values that will drive the community transition.
- Community and organizational goals to achieve the vision and fulfill the mission.
- An action plan that will identify the specific steps and schedule to accomplish the goals.
Why do a Strategic Plan?
According to the City's Comprehensive Master Plan, the City of Fernley’s population is reasonably projected to double over the next 20 years from approximately 20,000 to 40,000 residents. This growth would occur in the context of fundamental shifts in the demographic and economic characteristics of the Reno/Sparks, Carson City and Fernley/Lyon County region. Increased demand in the region for space by industry, including manufacturing, distribution and technology, will drive demand for increased diversity of the housing stock and create opportunities for the attraction of new commercial and industrial development to the city.
As Fernley transitions from primarily a residential community to a balanced residential and commercial community, a critical goal is to do so in a way that is sensitive to the current character of the community. To ensure growth occurs in a manner sensitive to the character of the community, the City of Fernley is developing a strategic plan for 2021-2026.