The Youth Ambassador Program (YAP) is a year-long service-learning program from (September-June) for high school students at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Discovery Center (discovergates.org). Participating youth will have an opportunity to network and partner with organizations engaged in social change, deepen their understanding of various local and global issues, develop their collaboration and communication skills, and explore the unique role youth can play to make a difference in their communities and across the world.
APPLICATION DUE DATE: 11:59 August 16, 2022
Participants selected for the program will join a community of youth leaders that will:
Participate in activities to deepen their understanding of various local and global issues.
Strengthen their empathy, communication, and collaboration skills.
Plan and lead community outreach efforts to raise awareness and inspire youth to take action.
Develop networking skills through participation in one-on-one mentor relationships and partner with various organizations engaged in innovation, social change, and youth empowerment.
Develop leadership skills through public speaking, program planning, and community engagement.
Have a unique role in advising and leading programs at the Discovery Center to empower youth to become global citizens.
Participants must commit to:
- Attending in-person YAP Orientation Thursday, Sept 15, 2022 (5:30 PM-7:30 PM).
- Attending in-person YAP weekly Thursday meetings (5:30 PM-7:00 PM).
- *(500 5th Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109)
- Participate in tours or volunteering days (dates vary).
- Attend 80% of all the meetings.
- Lead at least one outreach presentation in your school or at community events.
- Participate in a planning committee to organize the Teen Action Fair (Spring 2023)
- Participate in one additional small group focused on a particular area of the Discovery Center's body of work.
- Participate in one Community Service project and a one-on-one mentoring relationship.