DIRECTIONS FOR COMPLETION OF STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATION
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
IMPORTANT: For prerequisites and additional information on the application process, see
This student teacher application is very important as it will provide information for placement. The application will be completed at SurveyMonkey.com. The remaining items must be submitted through Canvas. [Note: Upon receipt of your application, we will add your easypass user name to the Student Teaching Registration program on Canvas so you can begin to submit attached copies of the documents outlined below. PDF format is preferred, where feasible. You will receive an email notifying you of your enrollment after which you may begin to upload the required documents.]
Please use the following checklist to be sure you have submitted the required documents with your application. It is the student's responsibility to keep track of what they have submitted.
The following 3 items are required to begin the placement process:
1. Application with all fields filled out and verification that you understand (via SurveyMonkey.com)
2. A resume that highlights your work with youth and your experiences in schools. [For assistance with this, contact Career Services at http://www.rider.edu/careerservices.]
3. A one to two page philosophy statement that discusses your beliefs about teaching and learning.
Please immediately follow up with these remaining requirements once they are available:
4. A copy of your EXAMINEE Praxis Score Report. (Although Rider may have received an 'Institutional' copy of your scores, what our office needs is a copy of you 'Examinee' Score Report. Please submit a copy for our use and certification purposes.)
5. Unofficial transcript from MyInfo.
6. A copy of a valid substitute teacher license OR criminal background check. This process can take several weeks to complete and should be initiated immediately.
To obtain one, contact the Administrative Office at a School District which may provide you with the paperwork needed. Not all districts will provide the paperwork. If unsuccessful, please contact the Director or Assistant Director in the Office of Field Placement. You may also contact www.source4teachers.com at 856-482-0300.
[Note: With a substitute teacher license, a district can hire you while you wait to receive your teacher license. This is not the case with just a criminal background check.]
7. Please also be ready to present the results of a current Mantoux (TB) test to the district in which you are placed. The test must be taken within the six months prior to beginning your student teaching.
Please be advised you CANNOT be an applicant in a district for student teaching if any of the following circumstances exist: If you have been previously enrolled or graduated from the district, or if a member of your immediate family or relative is enrolled or employed (in any capacity) in the district or is serving on the school board in the district.
NOTE: If, before or after receiving confirmation of student teaching assignment, the information you have provided changes, you must notify the Office of Field Placement immediately via email at email@example.com. Failure to do so will result in removal from assignment upon discovery of conflict of interest and/or inaccurate information.
The Office of Field Placement is responsible for all placement communication on behalf of the university. Please make an appointment with the Director or Assistant Director if you have special circumstances you wish to discuss.
Once your placement request has been submitted, it is possible a school will contact you directly for a phone or in-person interview. Please be prepared should you be contacted. The Office of Field Placement will send you a placement confirmation email with your district, scho