The Diabetic Eye Care Collaborative will be a new program launched by the WVAOP in the near future. The purpose of this program is to increase communication and collaboration between PCPs and ODs and improve care for our diabetic patients as well as continue to establish optometrists as primary eye care providers.
Requirements to participate:
1) Complete a dilated eye exam specifically looking for ocular manifestations of diabetic retinopathy.
2) Report the results of your findings to the referring Family Physician within 48 hours of exam. Send a copy to the Endocrinologist as indicated.
3) Make the appropriate referral when intervention is necessary.
4) Contact the referring Family Physician's office and inform them if the referred patient does not show for the appointment.
5) Commit to ongoing communication with Family Physicians who refer for a diabetic eye exam.
6) Allow WVAOP to share your contact information with the WV Academy of Family Physicians.
7) Each individual doctor must submit a copy of the sample report that he/she will be sending to the family physician to have on file at the WVAOP. It can be a generated letter from an EMR system, but it must specifically address the diabetic components of the exam. Multiple page printouts generated from EMR systems are not acceptable. Please feel free to contact the WVAOP for a sample diabetic report.
For questions, please contact Dr. Laura Suppa at LMSUPPA@gmail.com or text/call (304) 545-8366.