INFORMED CONSENT: PARTICIPANTS 18 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER
Dear Business Owner,
My name is Valerie Reynolds and I am a student at the University of Phoenix working on a Doctorate of Management degree. I am doing a research study entitled, The Relationship Between Leadership Styles and Business Success: A Study of Minority Women-Owned Business Owners. The purpose of the research study is to identify the leadership styles of minority women-owned small business owners in Prince William County, Virginia.
Your participation is voluntary involves the completion of a short survey. You can choose to withdraw from the survey at any time with no impact to yourself. The survey should take you about 15 minutes to complete. Once you start, you can withdraw from the study at any time without any penalty or loss of benefits. The results of the research study may be published but your identity will remain confidential and your name will not be made known to any outside party.
In this research, there are no foreseeable risks to you. Although there may be no direct benefit to you, a possible benefit from your being part of this study is after completing the What’s My Leadership Style? Self Assessment, you will be able to download your individual report in a PDF format. The purpose of this report is to help you: (a) understand your leadership style, (b) discover the unique benefits and potential pitfalls of your style, and (c) learn how to adapt your leadership style to increase your effectiveness as a leader.
If you have any questions about the research study, please call me at 703-346-8845 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about your rights as a study participant, or any concerns or complaints, please contact the University of Phoenix Institutional Review Board via email at IRB@phoenix.edu.
As a participant in this study, you should understand the following:
1. You may decide not to be part of this study or you may want to withdraw from the study at any time. If you want to withdraw, you can do so without any problems.
2. Your identity will be kept confidential.
3. Valerie Reynolds, the researcher, has fully explained the nature of the research study and has answered all of your questions and concerns.
4. If interviews are done, they may be recorded. If they are recorded, you must give permission for the researcher, Valerie Reynolds, to record the interviews. You understand that the information from the recorded interviews may be transcribed. The researcher will develop a way to code the data to assure that your name is protected.
5. Data will be kept in a secure and locked area. The data will be kept for three years, and then destroyed.
6. The results of this study may be published.
“By agreeing to this form, you agree that you understand the nature of the study, the possible risks to you as a participant, and how your identity will be kept confidential. If you disagree, you will be opt-out of the survey. When you agree, this means that you are 18 years old or older and that you give your permission to volunteer as a participant in the study that is described here.”