Section Four: The CARE Team
· During the course of your tutoring experience, you may encounter students who could benefit from a connection to campus resources, such as the deans’ office, counseling, occupational therapy, or other support services. The Caltech CARE Team is a multidisciplinary group of professionals who are able to support students in connecting to resources, and offering assistance over time. The goal of the CARE Team is to facilitate early intervention when a student is struggling with academic, personal, social, or health concerns, and to provide an easy way for community members to make referrals.
· Your referral to the CARE Team can help connect an individual who is struggling with appropriate support and help that person avoid a more significant crisis. The behaviors listed below, especially when more than one are present, may be signs of distress:
· Mood or behavior changes
· Changes in personal hygiene
· Social withdrawal
· Excessive absences from class or lab
· Disinterest or disengagement in work
· Increased substance use
· Talking about death, dying, or suicide
· Disruptive behavior
· Aggressive behavior or social media postings
· Tutors can learn more about the Team, which behaviors warrant a referral, and Team membership, as well as submit a referral by visiting http://caltechcares.caltech.edu
· Referrals are shared with the CARE Team, and a Team member will follow up with the referring party to gather any additional information and offer advice about next steps. In most cases, to preserve privacy, details about specific actions or contact with the referred student will not be shared with the referring party.