When you’re part of a healthcare organization, you know your #1 goal is to keep your patients healthy. But patient safety and satisfaction go beyond providing good medical treatment. It’s the every day, behind-the-scenes work–like maintaining up-to-date charts and proper staffing that keeps your patients safe.
How Your Organization Can Make Patient Safety a Priority
To help healthcare organizations assess their overall patient safety culture, the US government’s patient safety organization, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), created a series of healthcare surveys designed to test for patient safety indicators. By giving your medical staff these surveys, you can understand whether or not the staff in your hospital, medical office, nursing home, or pharmacy are following proper procedures and getting the support they need to ensure patient safety.
Our survey research scientists have recreated the AHRQ patient safety culture questionnaires to make it easy for you to customize and send patient safety surveys to your staff—and collect and analyze their responses online. Use the patient safety surveys to find areas of weakness, set goals, and make improvements to your healthcare organization. You can even benchmark your AHRQ survey results against others in your industry to see where you stand—and to make sure you’re meeting national patient safety goals.
Sample Online AHRQ Survey Templates
Get set up with one of SurveyMonkey’s AHRQ patient safety culture survey templates, including the popular hospital survey on patient safety culture. Our AHRQ survey templates are designed to capture pertinent information about your healthcare organization’s patient safety indicators.
Just create a FREE account, and you can send your healthcare employees AHRQ patient safety culture surveys in minutes. Choose from our online patient safety questionnaires, depending on your industry:
Hospital Patient Safety Culture Survey Template
Find out how your hospital staff feels about how well their organization handles patient safety. Learn how often safety mishaps happen, how safety issues are dealt with, and how well the hospital teams and units work together.
Medical Office Patient Safety Culture Survey Template
Learn how the staff in your medical office feel about the quality of patient care and the procedures in place used to maximize patient safety. Find out if the staff feels rushed when caring for patients, if there is enough on-the-job training, and if the staff feels there are workflow problems.
Nursing Home Patient Safety Culture Survey Template
Do you know whether the staff at your nursing home feel comfortable about speaking up over patient safety issues? Get staff opinions on topics such as the quality of the supervisors, if resident safety is a priority, and if the staff feels that the same mistakes occur repeatedly. Address issues before they become a liability by getting frequent feedback from your nursing home staff.
Pharmacy Patient Safety Culture Survey Template
If you run a pharmacy, learn whether the staff feels others on their team have the necessary skills to do their job well. See where there may be safety issues regarding pill counts and staffing, and find out the staff’s opinions on pharmacy procedures. Benchmark your pharmacy’s safety practices against other pharmacies regionally and nationally.
How to Use AHRQ Patient Safety Culture Surveys
AHRQ survey questions are written to get honest feedback from your staff members, so you can improve patient safety and create an atmosphere that helps your team perform at their best. Use AHRQ surveys to:
- Assess areas that need improvement: Find out where your organization can make improvements in patient safety by learning if the staff feels there are patient safety problems, if the staff feels that the hours worked compromise patient care, and if your current procedures are designed to prevent mistakes that could compromise patient safety.
- Learn how comfortable your staff feels about addressing patient safety issues: If your staff members see issues that could affect patient safety, do they feel comfortable reporting these problems? Are they worried that reporting errors may lead to a negative mark in their personnel files? Are there adequate procedures in place for reporting problems?
- Find out how your staff works as a team: How well does the staff work together? Are there issues within teams that compromise how patients are treated? Do other staff members help out if the workload increases? Find out how your staff feels about work dynamics and learn where there are areas for improvement.
- Learn where additional training investments should be made: Is your organization doing enough to address patient safety concerns with the type of training you provide? Where are areas that your staff could use additional training? Use online patient safety polls to discover any training gaps so that you can invest your money in meaningful avenues that will promote positive changes.
3 Quick Tips to Improve Survey Response Rates
Ensure that the staff in your organization fills out the AHRQ online questionnaires by following the below tips:
1. Confidentiality. The staff will be more willing to provide honest feedback if they understand your confidentiality standards. In the cover letter or email of your survey, stress your confidentiality policy so that your medical staff will feel comfortable filling out the survey.
2. Pre-testing. Make sure your survey works as intended–and that your survey respondents won’t misinterpret questions–by sending out pre-test surveys to colleagues.
3. Reminder emails. Give respondents a polite reminder to complete the survey by using SurveyMonkey’s email collector.
Need to comply with HIPAA?
HIPAA controls patient and medical care confidentiality. Rest assured that SurveyMonkey complies with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Learn more by visiting our HIPAA Compliance at SurveyMonkey page for more details.
For more information about AHRQ, please visit http://www.ahrq.gov/