Psst! Did you know that you can find us monkeys out in the lovely Northwest? That’s right. Not only do we have an office in Seattle, Washington but we have a pretty big monkey habitat out in Portland, Oregon too. We’ve called this great city ‘home’ for the last 10 years and it’s been exciting to see–and be a part of–Portland’s fast growing tech startup scene.
At our office, we celebrated professional women in technology while also talking about career opportunities at SurveyMonkey, and learning even more about women’s roles in technology. About 50 women from various organizations joined us for great food, drinks, and conversations including ChickTech, Jama Software, Jive, New Relic, Nike and Oracle.
Our very own Selina Tobaccowala, Senior Vice President of Product and Engineering, visited from the Palo Alto headquarters to share her professional experiences and lessons learned with the group. It was inspiring to hear her talk about her career growth and challenges she faced such as starting Evite while still in college, joining start-up companies, and learning to balance family life and raising children along the way.
Because we love data, Selina shared some stats on what it looks like for women in technology today.
Women in Technology
- Only 2% of open source developers are women.
- Women earn 28% of B.S. degrees in Computer Science.
- Only 1 in every 4 jobs in Science, Tech, Engineering, and Math (STEM) are held by women.
- Just 8% of venture-backed startups have female leaders.
But times are changing and more women are getting into tech!
- Women graduating from Harvard make up 41% in computer science majors.
- From January 2011 to January 2012 the number of women in IT has jumped 28.9%.
We were excited to host this event and share our space with an amazing group of women. Be on the lookout for us to open our doors for other tech events in the future.
Questions? Comments? Don’t be shy, you know where to go.