Last month, we introduced a new project of ours; a monthly tracker to keep up to date with trends in media, leisure, technology and shopping trends over time. We’ll be running this same survey once a month, so make sure you check back in to see how each of these categories fare and what changes occur in public sentiment.
So, how are we running this monthly tracker? Using SurveyMonkey Audience, we surveyed a random sample of 600 American consumers–an equal number of men and women, over the age of 18–and got their feedback on the following topics:
- Netflix subscriber trends
- Online music (e.g. Pandora, Spotify)
- Mobile device ownership (e.g., iPhone, Android, Kindle)
- Online video gaming (e.g., Angry Birds, Zynga games)
- Grocery shopping trends
- Casual restaurant dining
- Fast food dining
- Online restaurant reservations & food delivery
The full set of responses (and month over month data comparisons) are available here, but here’s a sampling of some of the key results:
Netflix Subscriber Trends
- Respondents who identified as active Netflix subscribers are increasingly satisfied with the service. Cancellation likelihood trends look consistent from June to July, with those who responded “not at all likely” to cancel their subscription ticking up 3%.
Online Music Trends
- In a typical week, respondents reported that they listen to online music properties Pandora and YouTube most. Both companies saw an increase in their listener base compared to June’s results.
Online Video Gaming Trends
- Top mobile games Angry Birds and Words with Friends were leaders in mobile gaming, both showing strong monthly growth.
Restaurants and Dining Trends
- Top casual dining restaurants Olive Garden, Applebee’s and Chili’s continue to battle for the top spot in terms of respondent popularity.
- A large majority of the respondents had visited a fast food restaurant last month, with McDonald’s, Subway, and Wendy’s remaining the most popular restaurants.
Are you surprised by any of these results? Were you predictions on the mark? Stay tuned for next month to see if there are any significant changes in each of these categories.
Interested in running your own SurveyMonkey Audience project? Are there any topics missing from our monthly tracker? Let us know in the comments section below.