Ask more, know more, do more

Paying the Price: Where Millennials Are Looking for Career Inspiration

Paying the Price: Where Millennials Are Looking for Career Inspiration

MillennialsIn our last study on millennials, we found that 80% of employed 20-somethings experience career anxiety, and only 30% love their jobs.

Intrigued by the widespread discontent, we decided to dig deeper to understand where these young adults are turning for advice in their anxious, unsatisfied state.

Who or what most influences their career decisions? How much do millennials spend on personal development resources? And what types of career resources are most appealing to this demographic?

Using SurveyMonkey Audience, we collected insights from more than 300 college-educated, full-time employed 20-somethings to get answers to these questions. Here’s what we found:

Career influence

No surprises here. Friends, family, and mentors play the most influential role in career decision-making for about 80% of millennials. Meanwhile, the remaining 20% say they check out written content, events, or other resources for inspiration.

Annual Spend

We also found that 70% of millennials open their wallets for personal development resources. And more than half indicated that they spend at least $100 annually, with nearly a quarter of millennials spending more than $300 a year.

Market Research Made Easy

Want to run your own market research project at an affordable price? We’ve got millions of people ready to take your survey. Choose from 30+ demographic attributes.

Get Started

The largest chunk of change comes from the pockets of just 12% of millennials, who spend $1,000 or more each year and help fuel the $10 billion U.S. self-improvement market.

Career Resources

Despite a growing affinity for digital content, 20-somethings are more likely to attend in-person events than seek advice online when thinking about their career. Self-improvement gurus should take notes, because demand hasn’t shifted completely online quite yet.

The self-improvement industry has received its fair share of criticism over the years, due to scams and a general lack of regulation, but the industry continues to play a critical role in delivering career advice to young professionals. Nevertheless,we’ve found that these resources remain secondary to the advice received from friends, family, and mentors.

Interested in running your own research project? Visit SurveyMonkey Audience to get started today!

Get the Guide

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Inspired? Create your own survey.

Make your own survey

Sign In

Sign up to get started

PRO Sign Up 
Sign Up FREE

Latest Features

Curious about what we’ve been working on?

View New Features

Get expert survey help

Get expert survey help


Best practices for planning expert surveys

Planning makes writing your survey easy.

Download eGuide

How many responses do you need?

Use our sample size calculator to find out!

Calculate now

Analyze survey data like a pro

Learn to slice and dice data using the Analyze tool.

Download eGuide